Thursday, October 19, 2006

KNOPPIX


Need Linux? Don't want to sacrifice Windows? Using a parent's or someone else's computer? Just want to try out KDE and the shell? Then I have something for you. KNOPPIX. Knoppix is a live-CD distribution of Linux. This means you can directly boot into Linux from the CD. Very useful if you must run from the CD-ROM drive or don't want to mess with tedious partitioning. I tried 4.0.2, I and I was very satisfied with it. It is very easy to set up. Just be careful not to download the German version, though. If you do, type knoppix lang=us at the boot: prompt when the system starts up. Also, if you want to write to a CD-RW drive, I believe you will need 5.0.1. Finally, to make the CD, you will need a PC or Mac and some sort of CD-image burner (Roxio Easy-CD creator works). Just download the 600-some MB image file and burn a blank CD-R. In fact, it was through this that I got my first got experience with Linux. Overall it is a great and friendly distro.

No comments: